Friday, March 4, 2011

Is my Wii Fit to be trusted?

I just don't know how to feel about my Wii Fit. On the one hand, it lets me exercise with virtual hula hoops and ski jumps, congratulates me on my excellent balance, and cheerfully encourages me to come again tomorrow.

On the other hand, it makes my avatar fat while playing sad clown music and tells me I have the fitness level of a 45-year-old.

Today I found myself in a new quandary.

I fired up the ol' Wii Fit not to exercise but to weigh my baby, affectionately known as "Moose." He's 4-1/2 months old and is a tank, in the 75th percentile. At his 4 month checkup he weighed in at 15 lbs., 12 oz. Since then he's been eating like a garbage disposal and I know he's gotten bigger.

I don't have a baby scale so I decided weighing him on the Wii Fit would do. I've heard you can do a weight comparison: It weighs you alone and then weighs you while holding something, then tells you how much that something weighs.

My first problem: For the life of me I couldn't find this function. Can someone tell me where the devil it is?

Anyway, so I just took my own fitness test first, then again with Moose. The good news is, in the 21 days since I last took a body test I have LOST 3 POUNDS!

***VICTORY DANCE!!!***

But my elation soon turned to perplexity when I did the test again holding my medicine ball of a baby.

Riddle me this...

Why on earth did the Wii Fit tell me, with the addition of at least 16 pounds on the board, that I just lost another half a pound???



He is not to be trusted.

3 comments:

  1. That is awful that it isn't accurate. Hang in there and I am thinking you should probably splurge on a scale. I just got one and it is really helping me. Just remember to weigh yourself before you eat and get dressed. I tried it one night after eating dinner and fully dressed. It told me I was 7 pounds heavier than I was the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a scale, but it's not digital so it can be hard to tell the exact difference when I weigh me and then Moose. I'm with you though, I weigh myself first thing in the morning and nekkid. I don't want to be held responsible for working off the weight of my jeans and food I haven't digested yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that feature is only on the Wii fit plus. And don't trust your wii fit scale. It can be affected just by how you're standing that day. I have 2 scales at my gym. They're really close to each other, but they can vary greatly from what my wii fit tells me. Especially if it's on carpet.

    ReplyDelete