Thursday, March 10, 2011

Exercise in disguise

Today was a much better food day, and it's a good thing because I needed the fuel. My baby decided 6 a.m. was the perfect time to start his day instead of the usual 7:30, so I was forced to start mine as well. Luckily for him, he had 3 naps and went down for the night at 8 p.m. I didn't get naps and am still awake... for now.

I got my green smoothie going this morning and had a pretty good balanced food day. I even worked in a walk with my little dude and fought the urge for a soda at work. I'm glad I got in so much healthy stuff because I am exhausted, and if I had eaten like yesterday I would have passed out hours ago, probably in the middle of work or while driving home and that would be the end of me.

So, with all this exhaustion I keep coming back to my favorite excuse: I am too tired (and too busy) to exercise.

It feels valid, most likely because I think of a workout as a stairclimber sweat-fest or circuit training at the gym. Although I'd love to have the time, energy and gym membership that those require, I just don't.

But rather than give up before I begin, I was reminded recently that even moderate exercise gets the job done. I think if I redefine my idea of exercise I'll be a lot less opposed to it and a lot more motivated to get active.

This article on WebMD.com espouses the idea that we can work out without working out, stating that "one key to faster fitness is turning the things you like to do into fitness activities." Studies have known that becoming more active in our daily lives can provide the same benefits as a structured exercise program.

So in addition to the crunches, squats and lunges I try to work in daily, I pledge to get moving more by:

  • Taking more trips up and down the stairs
  • Dancing with my baby (or for him, and hopefully making him laugh)
  • Taking far-out parking spots and walking further to work/the store

That's it for today. I'm ready to hit the hay, and this time I've earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment