Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hiding the good stuff

I was going to do my weekly recipe roundup last night but I forgot to actually round up the recipes. So, let me issue a call:

Anyone with a healthy, delicious meal to share, send 'em over! 
E-mail them to ltmaxfield@gmail.com and I'll post them next week.

Today I'm continuing my love affair with veggies. I've been craving them more and more, but rather than cook them all as side dishes I've been adding them to a bunch of other foods.

For example:

This soup comes from a mix, Bear Creek Cheddar Broccoli. Because it was from a package it had a lot of sodium, but it was much lower in calories and fat than a made-from-scratch recipe. Then, I improved on it with veggies.

I cooked about 3/4 cup of each: carrots, green beans, broccoli and corn while the soup was cooking. I put them in the blender, added a bit of soup, and blended it enough to chop the veggies into pieces about the size of sunflower seeds. (A food processor, veggie chopper or a good old kitchen knife will work too.) I poured everything from the blender into the soup pot and let everything cook together. It was so tasty and I didn't feel as bad for eating a mix since I added nearly four servings of vegetables.

You can do the same in more things than soup. I've done zucchini and carrots in spaghetti sauce, squash and carrots in meatloaf, spinach or cabbage into mashed potatoes (for a version of potatoes colcannon) and this week I'll be adding mushrooms and carrots into a lasagna.

In other news, I'm happy to report I have made excellent progress on my weekly goals so far. I've already done the Wii fit once, gone on walks twice, and done all but one day of my strength training exercises (which I'm making up for today). I'm feeling good for meeting my goals, no matter what the dreaded measurements may say on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Don't stop at mushroom and carrots! I've done those plus broccoli, spinach, and zucchini. Love it! Too bad my husband doesn't (not a veggie guy) or I'd make it more often. The meat and sauce give all of the veggies an excellent flavor as it bakes in the oven.

    ReplyDelete