Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bit o' Inspiration

I love this article from the Huffington Post by Jay Williams, called "The Key to Getting Motivated."


My favorite take-away is on using positivity: Instead of "I will" or "I will not" statements, use "I am" statements, then create a mantra. So instead of "I will not eat fatty foods," say, "I am an incredibly healthy person who eats nutritious, whole foods." Or how about this: "I am an athlete. I thrive on exercise, especially walking and resistance training." The more you say it and see yourself as that person, the more you will become it.

I can testify that this WORKS. My baby had an extremely collicky first few months of life. One of the things I did to cope and stay patient was to create a mantra of my own:

"My child is a divine gift. Being a mother is the most important duty I have ever been given. I will care for my child with patience and joy and be grateful for the privilege of this honor."

I wrote this on a card that sits on my nightstand. I say this in my mind whenever he stresses me out or I find myself wishing I was doing something other than trying to soothe him. The day I created this and began repeating it, everything changed. I don't find myself getting upset, and I realized my love for him has grown. It is forever in my mind whether I'm conscious of it or not, and I truly believe these words.

Now, for a workout/getting healthy/staying motivated mantra...

Any ideas????

5 comments:

  1. I'm idea-less, but wanted to chime in and say that I love your motherhood mantra. Better keep that card to use in 15 years-ish, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had a sweatshirt with the words "No food tastes as good as it feels to be thin."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally stealing your motherhood mantra. I love it! I need it! Thanks for including me in this, I need a little motivation to exercise myself, and it will be fun to watch your progress and cheer you on along the way.You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes ladies, please do take the mantra! I'm telling you it works—at least it did for me. Mom I love that saying! It is SO true. Too bad it's so hard to remember in the moment. Perhaps another index card is in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mantra ideas. Guess I'd better read the article, too! thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete