Friday, April 15, 2011

Am I doing this right?

I've read more than once that to help keep your abs strong and your body aligned, you should engage your abs. Not just when you're working out, but in pretty much everything you do.

Engaging your abs is not sucking in, as as this fitness blog describes. It's like light flexing. You're not trying to show off your muscles and look cut, you're just keeping everything tight and tucked.

I've done this for years, and it really helps my back and posture—plus I look thinner (bonus!). But now I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it right.

I first started thinking about this when I was pregnant, because engaging my abs was just not a possibility. When I stopped doing it, I noticed I could breathe deeper from my entire diaphragm. This is not so when my abs are engaged.

So, am I doing this right? If so, then does that mean engaging your abs is more important or better for you than deep diaphragm breathing, or is that kind of breathing not an all-the-time thing?

Anyone know?

No comments:

Post a Comment