Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Weekly Recipe Roundup

I've been slacking on the recipe roundups, so I'm going to shake it up this week. Instead of posting a recipe or two, I'm going to feature one of the best non-recipe food books I know: "Eat This, Not That."


To be fair, it's not just a book. There's a series of books, a segment in Men's Health magazine and a really cool website. If you haven't heard of it (and I can't imagine you haven't), the concept is simple: How to choose the healthiest of two food options whether at a restaurant, grocery store or even in your own home.

I've just spent a moment perusing the site and the slideshows of the best and worst. May I just say, I am appalled. Not in a self-righteous, I-will-not-stand-for-this kind of way -- I'm genuinely shocked and disgusted every time I go through their lists. I mean, a kid's meal pasta with 1,800 calories? A fajita and rice combo with the sodium equivalent of nearly 200 saltine crackers? A cake-and-ice-cream dessert with 88 grams of fat? DISGUSTING.

So play around on the website, check out some of the books, or have fun with the interactive quiz. Whatever you do, just remember to think twice before going out to dinner next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment