Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Weekly recipe roundup: Trainer edition

To sum up my efforts last week, I would say it was a pretty good success. If I were just going by the checklist I wouldn't have done so well, but the reason I had to skimp a bit was because I was just too sore to do some of that stuff and I had to let my muscles recover. All in all, I'm excited about the new workout and I can't wait to see bigger results!

Now, as promised, the weekly recipe roundup you'd pay hundreds of dollars for. That's because I did pay it, in an indirect way. In 2008 when I had awesome health insurance that contributed to this sort of thing, I went to a personal trainer. I worked with Jason at Custom Fit Personal Training in Sugarhouse, and it was worth every penny. If you are able to and are serious about getting fit, I highly recommend this place. It's a small private gym with a handful of trainers and the only time you're allowed in is when you have an appointment or to use the cardio machines. That way there aren't a million sweaty people in line for the weights and it's very one-on-one. After 6 weeks at Custom Fit I lost 10 pounds and 10 inches — and that's only because I cheated and hardly ever did cardio.

The other reason Jason was awesome is because he let me have carbs in my meal plan. And that's what I'm sharing with you in this week's recipe roundup. He gave me two plans, so today I'll start with the beginner and then next week I'll give you the high-protein power plan.

Breakfast:
1 Kroger brand Carb Master yogurt
Handful of berries
2 scoops protein
      -or-
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal (not packaged)
Handful of berries

Snack:
1/2 apple
3-4 oz. jerky
      -or-
Carrots and celery

Lunch:
Sandwich with Sara Lee Carb Smart bread or low-carb tortilla, 2 packages lunch meat, mustard, spinach
1/2 apple
      -or-
Salad with spinach, romaine and red leaf lettuce, tomato, and cucumber with vinaigrette dressing
1 grilled or broiled chicken breast

Snack:
2 sticks string cheese
      -or-
1-2 hard boiled eggs

Dinner:
1 grilled or broiled chicken breast
Steamed or grilled veggies
1/2 cup cottage cheese


Looking back through my measurements from the trainer, it's clear my body has changed after having a baby. Now, my thighs are a tiny bit smaller, my arms are a tiny bit bigger and my waist is exactly the same -  but my hips are 5 inches bigger. While the thought of my hips horrifies me at first, I actually feel better because that's not just fat, that's an actual change in my bone structure. Sadly, if it hasn't gone back to normal after 7 months I really don't think it will now. But hey, you can't win 'em all. I'll just work on what I can and accept the rest.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly our hips will never be the same. Well our whole body will never be the same but we can adjust it and maintain. Good job! I've been flirting with the idea of a personal trainer for years. Steven gets mad because I never do it. When this baby comes I will be calling one for sure. I'm worried they will make me feel like a fatty. I think that is why I haven't done it yet.

    I can't wait to see your pictures again! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsay,
    When I saw you at the baby blessing I remember thinking "Wow she really looks like she didn't even have a baby!" And I'm not sure if I told you but You are looking so good.

    I love reading your blog!
    Loosing weight will always be an uphill battle for us women. It's nice to know that we can at least lean on each other for advice and support.

    Thanks for the Meal plan. I think I'll give it a try. What have I got to loose besides a few pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassy that's great you want to try a trainer. If Steven's behind it, that's awesome too. Nothing like spousal support. A good trainer won't make you feel like a fatty. They will be cheerleaders, not drill sergeants. I recommend looking into it for sure.

    Chelsea, that's so nice of you to say! I was just stoked to have a waist again after the baby :) Let me know what you think about the meal plan. If anything, it's a good guideline for how to structure your diet.

    ReplyDelete