Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Whew! It's been a crazy couple of weeks, to say the least. Rest assured all is well. In fact, things are better than "well"—they are fantastic. But first, to recap:

At first I was AWOL because I hurt my knee (I have no idea how, but it's been killing me) so working out has been shelved. Then I was absent out of shame because it was my birthday and I lived it up for a few days, eating anything and everything and not feeling guilty for one second. But when I woke up the day after my birthday, oh BOY was I feeling it. My body isn't used to eating all that junk anymore and it was really mad at me. I was so sick the entire day. I can honestly say I do not want to make that mistake again!

Now, the main reason I've been gone and the reason why things are fantastic: There are some changes around here. As of today I am officially a work-from-home mom, and I am ecstatic!

I've been agonizing over my job for weeks now. I have really, REALLY loved it, but as my baby has gotten older it's gotten a lot harder. My schedule is different every day, which was fine when he was a newborn and slept most of the time. But now that he's older things have changed.

Not only does Evan need the stability of having a routine and a predictable schedule, he needs a mom who isn't so divided, both mentally and physically. Instead of enjoying my time with him before heading to work, my days turned into one big checklist and I was rushing him through everything that had to be finished before we got out the door. He was unhappy and just wanted Mommy, but I couldn't even be there for him when I was physically there.

I knew I couldn't do that to him and I had to make a change, but since I couldn't make my current job fit my family's needs I had to step back. I am still an on-call employee and get to manage my special section of the website, which is awesome, but I am no longer on the schedule. Instead I am a work-from-home editor for a variety of news outlets, and so far I am loving it. He's happy, I'm happy, we're all happy. I know it won't always be sunshine and roses, but I know this was the best decision for our family and it's all for the sake of ensuring my child has a loving and stable home. Who could ask for more?

So... Now that I'm at home full time, the task is at hand: Making exercise a daily part of our routine. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for a few days until I get the hang of our new situation, but I'm really excited to essentially have a blank canvas to work with, never again to rush through a task or forsake a goal just to get to work on time.


Life is good :)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm so jealous. I truly feel like being at home, doing the (hard) work of raising a family is what is right. RJ and I recently moved in with his parents to help us save $ and achieve that goal....hopefully soon!

    P.S. Saw your book club FB post, and wish you lived in Logan. I'm part of a great one here. You should totally start one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S. Are you a Dr.Laura fan? Have you read her book about/for stay at home moms? She's a huge advocate, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for working toward that goal! It's cliche but I'm going to say it anyway: Being a full-time mom is both the hardest and most rewarding thing I've ever done. I hope you can work it out!

    I'm not a Dr. Laura fan but I like that she's in support of full-time motherhood. Moms needs more credit in the world!

    I think I am starting a book club, but I've got to wait for a few things to settle down here. If you feel like making a monthly trek to Salt Lake you're on the list!

    ReplyDelete