Friday, September 2, 2011

Food as fuel

It's been a little harder than I thought getting into this new meal plan, but not in the way I expected. I've been really good at eating the oatmeal and veggie wraps, but it's been really hard for me to eat on schedule and get the juice/smoothie in. Not sure why this is exactly, other than the fact that time is always an issue when you have a baby. But I keep working at it, and it's getting better every day.

The main thing I really love about this plan is that it helps me remember that food is for fuel, not for pleasure. OK, it kind of is for pleasure, and it should taste good or else we wouldn't want to eat it. Also, there's nothing wrong with a little snack or dessert every now and then. But the day-to-day business of food is not about satisfying our junk-food lust; it's about giving our body what it needs. When you do this, you do feel satisfied—not to mention full of energy.

This is the concept behind Tres Hatch's book, as I mentioned earlier this week. With this regimented plan that takes the body's dietary needs in mind, and is created to keep the metabolism working at max capacity, it's been really easy to keep in mind that food is for fuel.

I still have intense cravings for fast food every now and then, especially soda and large fries, but hopefully those cravings will subside the more I stick to this plan. Though I was skeptical that I'd be satisfied with a veggie wrap for lunch, I actually am. That's how I know that my food is working for me and I'm getting the nutrients I need to keep going.

That's the update. Is anyone else doing this plan or something similar? Share your experience and tell us what you like about it!

1 comment:

  1. I want a Diet Coke but I have only had a sip since Cash was born. I'm hoping I can cut out the soda. I have had Sprite because of my insane obnoxious nausea. I didn't drink soda for 5 years and I remember when I stopped I lost 20lbs right off. Keep up the good work. I love looking at your progress pictures. You may not see it but you have lost a ton of weight. Steven and I both are shocked at the transformation every time you post your pictures. ;)

    ReplyDelete