Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Don't give up because you gave in

I read an article yesterday that not only motivated me, but gave me something great to try when I feel like giving up.


Columnist Loa Blasucci wrote in the Deseret News about people who are doing well on a weight loss program, then they hit a bump, give in to foodie temptation and fall off the wagon, then give up because they stumbled. She writes,
"A client said to me, 'I was doing great. I was on program, and then I ate a cupcake. I felt so guilty I spiraled out of control. I’m angry with myself because I let it all go.'
Does that sound familiar? It does to me. And how silly is it that just because we give into an indulgence we give up on our entire goal or consider ourselves lost? We don't judge our eternal salvation on one indiscretion; we correct the behavior, seek forgiveness, vow to be better, and then try again. Why should weight loss be any different? Loa writes,
"Our bodies are in a perpetual state of recovery and healing. When we eat well, exercise and maintain a calm, content disposition, we are thriving. But in the day-to-day of it all, life isn’t perfect. There will be bumps along the way. How we deal with the bumps determines whether or not we can manage our weight."
That's a new perspective I haven't dwelt on. It's not just about how hard we work out or how faithfully we stick to a program; it's about bringing ourselves back after we fall and staying committed to picking ourselves up, again and again if necessary.


Loa has a solution for helping us stay positive and get back on track quickly after we make mistakes. She suggests dividing the day into thirds rather than an entire 24-hour chunk. She says to write down what you think a "good day" is within in section, comprised of morning, midday and evening. As you go through that section, check off as many of those good things as you've completed. Assess where you need to try harder, then move on to the next section and leave the shortcomings behind. That way, if you do have a cupcake-related indiscretion, you won't feel that you've ruined your entire day and may as well finish a baker's dozen.


To get the full effect of her method, read her article here. It's wonderful and gives good ideas as to what we can fill our sections with. This is particularly helpful to me now, as I'm trying to figure out a day's routine for my little guy and myself at home. This post may be amended to show that, but I'll just end with this thought:


"Forget about being on a diet; feel enjoyment in your life and gratitude for the chance to slim down and care for yourself. When you marvel at the gift your body is and find gratitude for all the systems that keep you up and running every day, guilt — or, anger turned inward — slips slowly away."

2 comments:

  1. This is Jer and I'm too lazy to relog as me.
    "Do your best and forget the rest" - Tony Horton
    Another thing to consider is just being consistent. Your body looks the way it does based on how you treated it two weeks ago. Its not an instant, I ate a brownie now I'm a fatty deal. I personally find foods I like and I know are good for me and eat them all the time, by that I mean I have little variety, but lots of consistency. The fight you're fighting is 90% about what you eat; that's my personal experience. Good luck and good post :)

    ReplyDelete